Oklahoma priest removed from ministry after allegation of sexual abuse
OKLAHOMA CITY (KOKH) —
According to a statement released by the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City, a priest has been removed from ministry pending an investigation of an allegation of sexual abuse of a minor.
The statement says the allegation against Father James Mickus is under review by the Archdiocesan Review Board and that the allegation does not involve Father Mickus’s current parishes.
Father Mickus serves as a pastor at Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church in Chandler and Saint Louis Catholic Church in Stroud.
An independent firm has also been hired by the archdiocese to review and investigate the allegations. McAfee and Taft will investigate allegations of abuse by priest from 1960 to 2018.
These are the Oklahoma parishes where Father Mickus has served in ministry:
- Saint Joseph, Bison
- Our Lady of Sorrows, Chandler
- Saint Francis Xavier, Enid
- Chaplain, Vance Air Force Base, Enid
- Mission of Saint Ann, Fairview
- Chaplain, Oklahoma State Reformatory, Granite
- Mission of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Hollis
- Chaplain, Lexington Correctional Center
- Sacred Heart, Mangum
- Saint Philip Neri, Midwest City
- Saint Joseph, Norman
- Christ the King, Oklahoma City
- Saint Patrick, Oklahoma City
- Saint Mary, Ponca City
- Saint Louis, Stroud
The U.S Conference of Catholic Bishops’ “Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People” requires the removal from ministry and priest, deacon or other religious upon determinations of a credible claim of sexual misconduct with a minor.
The archdiocese does provide a hotline for reporting abuse of a minor by a member of the clergy. The contact for the Abuse of Minors Pastoral Response Hotline is (405)720-9878.