MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

No working smoke detector found in apartment following Thursday fire

A dog died in a fire Nov. 8 at the Heritage Apartments in Oklahoma City. (KOKH/Shardaa Gray)

Fire officials say a dog died in an apartment fire early Thursday in a residence without a working smoke detector.

The Oklahoma City Fire Department reports that just before 7 a.m. Nov. 8 firefighters were called to the Heritage Apartments, 7550 NW 10 Street, after the resident woke up to smoke and flames.

The resident was able to escape the apartment with a dog, but a second dog died inside. OKCFD Capt. David Macy says the home did not have a working smoke detector.

"It's something that we take serious. Since the first of the year we've had multiple fire deaths. One of the common causes of these fire deaths is, we believe, is no working smoke detectors," Macy said.

The Oklahoma City Fire Department will come to your home to install a free fire detector. All you have to do is contact them and set up a date for installation.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending