Holiday driving: tips for a safe road trip
OKLAHOMA CITY —
The busy holiday travel season is officially underway.
According to AAA, the majority of holiday travelers will be driving, not flying, to visit family and friends right now.
It’s a good idea to avoid driving during peak travel times, like Friday afternoon between 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. or Saturday morning.
Before you hit the road, make sure your car is ready.
- Carry an emergency kit with a flashlight, extra batteries, jumper cables, a first aid kit, and water
- Keep a cell phone and charger with you at all times
- Get plenty of rest before setting out on your holiday road trip
- Take a break every two hours to avoid getting drowsy behind the wheel
- Designate a passenger to serve as the official navigator, so you don't get distracted while driving.
With lots of construction projects happening right now on major highways across the state, paying attention to the road is crucial.
TripAdvisor expects Saturday, December 23 to be the busiest travel day, with 11% taking to the highways and airways. It is followed by Thursday, December 21, with 9% traveling that day.