OSBI director will not be leaving agency, but will resign leadership role
OKLAHOMA CITY (KOKH) —
The director for the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation told agency employees Monday his resignation as the head of the agency will be effective as soon as it is accepted by the commission, but he will not be leaving the agency.
Director Stan Florence, who has been under investigation for the past six months following complaints by employees, is not leaving the agency. In an email to employees, Florence said he will return to his previous position as an inspector within the agency.
The move comes after the Attorney General’s office completed its six-month investigation and submitted a report to the agency’s governing commission. The commission requested the AG conduct the investigation last year after more than 40 employees expressed concerns about the agency’s leadership and claimed senior members of the agency’s leadership were retaliating against employees who signed the letter.
The OSBI will not confirm the letter’s submission saying that resignation letters are not public records.
In the email to employees, Florence apologizes for the way many of them found out about the resignation and said he had intended to make an announcement closer to the commission meeting. FOX 25 reported on Friday shortly after Florence submitted his letter about details of the impending resignation.
The Attorney General’s Office told FOX 25 that resignation letters for the director of an agency governed by a board or commission would not be considered public records until action is taken on them by the governing body.
The resignation letter came after Attorney General Mike Hunter and Senior Deputy Attorney General Tom Gruber made an unannounced visit to Director Stan Florence at the OSBI headquarters last week. The meeting followed a more-than five-month long investigation let by Gruber.