73
      Monday
      92 / 70
      Tuesday
      94 / 72
      Wednesday
      96 / 74

      Teens who died were possibly drinking racing fuel and Mountain Dew

      Logan Stephenson-Submitted.png
      Logan Stephenson. (Courtesy family members)

      UPDATE (1-26) - Vanderbilt University Medical Center has now confirmed the second teen who is believed to have ingested a mixture of racing fuel and Mountain Dew has died.

      Officials say the boy passed Monday afternoon just after 3 p.m., but could not confirm until Tuesday morning.

      FOX 17 will continue to update you here.

      GREENBRIER, Tenn. (WZTV) - Greenbrier Police believe a teen who died last Thursday may have been drinking racing fuel and Mountain Dew.

      Greenbrier Police are waiting for a report from the medical examiner to determine the exact cause of death.

      Just old enough to drive, 16-year-old Logan Stephenson parked in spot 148 at Greenbrier High School. Since his sudden death, friends and family have placed candles and roses in his parking spot.

      Greenbrier Police Chief KD Smith believes Logan and his friend started drinking racing fuel, a type of gasoline, mixed with Mountain Dew Wednesday.

      Thursday morning, Logan was unresponsive.

      "They noticed the color of his skin had changed and he started having a seizure. His hands started drawing up," Smith said.

      His friend, whose name has not been released, had to be rushed to Vanderbilt University Medical Center. As of Monday night, his condition has not been confirmed. Police tell FOX 17 the last time they checked, he was in a coma.

      Since the incident, Smith said two other teenage boys have admitted to drinking the same dangerous mixture.

      "Ask your children," Smith said. "Get them to be open and honest with you. Nobody is going to be in any trouble."

      Logan's family chose not to speak to media Monday night. A family friend confirms a GoFundMe account has been started for Logan that will raise money for education and awareness about consuming toxic substances. If you'd like to donate, visit the Logan Stephenson Memorial.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER