Teen faces charges after OHP trooper involved shooting on I-35

Friends and family members wait outside OU Medical Center as a 16-year old boy recovers in his hospital bed.

"He's still in some pain, but he is doing better," said Tori Spencer, the boy's mother.

Tori says a state trooper shot her son, Miguel Spencer, during a traffic stop in Norman. Miguel and two of his friends were stopped on I-35 near the Tecumseh exit.

"The troopers, they're trained to use their weapons, and they shot my 16 year old son, in the chest," she said, "they shot him to kill him."

A picture from Tori shows Miguel staring at his gun shot wound. Their attorney, Malik Leigh says the bullet was lodged in Miguel's sternum.

"It was a kill shot," said Leigh.

Crystal Brown's 14-year old son was in the car with Miguel, and witnessed the entire confrontation with OHP, including the shooting.

"He's very traumatized," said Brown, "he's having trouble sleeping and says everytime he closes his eyes, that's what he sees."

Brown says when her son remembers what happened to Miguel, he remembers three details.

"He was unarmed," she recalled, "and was on his hands and knees when the officer shot him."

OHP placed Trooper Joseph Kimmons on paid administrative leave after Sunday's shooting. Trooper Kimmons is a 14-year veteran of the force.

No one from OHP would go on camera Monday, but a spokesperson says an investigation is pending and troopers would not open fire unless they believed their lives were in danger.

"That would be something that was just made up to try to justify him trying to murder this child," said Leigh.

Trooper Kimmons will remain on leave pending the outcome of OHP's investigation. Miguel was also taken into custody once he was dispatched Monday afternoon. He faces two counts of assault on an officer. As OHP investigators continue their work on the case, Leigh says all eyes should be on the trooper who shot Miguel.

"There was never a situation where the officer was in any kind of fear for his life," said Leigh.

Miguel was taken to Couch Juvenile Center in Norman, and was later released on bond.