Police: Kansas City mom assaults man who helped rescue child from hot car

A Kansas City mom is facing a child endangerment after police and witnesses say she left her daughter unattended in a hot car.A group of strangers say when they saw the child in the car, they began to grow nervous. Jeremy Welch was one of the Good Samaritans in the area."We had dinner, we came out, and I noticed as I passed a car parked in a handicapped spot that there was a child in the backseat, she was unattended, the windows were cracked, it was 91 degrees out and she was sweating profusely," Welch said.He and his wife looked around for the little girl's parents. They assumed they were standing somewhere near the car, but they couldn't find anyone. In the next few minutes, a small crowd began to gather and grow concerned about the child in the car.Eventually, Welch called 911."Finally my wife said, the little girl can't stay in there," Welch said. "She opened the car and pulled the child out. The woman with the car next door she got a bottle of water and was giving the little girl some water." The strangers took the girl to a nearby Chipotle to cool her off. That's when the girl's mother, 29-year-old Tiquana Pasco, came out of the Game Stop and demanded to know who took her child out of her car."She's like,' why are you touching my child, why do you have my child?' She explained 'well, you left your child unattended in this hot car so I took her out,'" Welch said.When they told Pasco police were called, Welch said she blew up."She became extremely irate and demanded that we hand her child over immediately, and she rushed over and grabbed hold of her child and yanked on her. The child then began crying and my wife said no, 'I am not giving you your child back. You need to wait for police.'" Welch said he had not choice but to step in between Pasco and his wife, who was holding the child."She continued to slap at me and shove at me and push me to try and get around me and I just stood in her way and told her she couldn't have her child back until the police got there." Once police arrived, she was checked out and released to another relative. Pasco was booked and could face a year in prison for her actions.Welch said he plans on filing charges against Pasco as well.
close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off