MENU

      Pepper spray malfunctions as officer eats lunch

      Diners at a Mexican restaurant in Ardmore got a lot of kick with their lunch, but it wasn't all tacos, nachos, and jalapeños.

      An Ardmore Police Officer was eating at a restaurant on N. Commerce Thursday afternoon when the officer's OC spray, better known as pepper spray, went off inside the restaurant. Ardmore Police Sgt. Ryan Hunnicutt says the canister malfunctioned.

      Pepper spray contains concentrated oil from chili peppers, water, and CO2 gas as a propellant. It provides an uncomfortable feeling to people when sprayed but is non-toxic and biodegradable and can be flushed using water and fresh air.

      Hunnicutt says the Ardmore Fire Department showed up to ventilate the area and treat any patrons who were affected.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER