Guards leave van running with eight inmates inside

Police have set up along the streets in Weatherford as they search for two escaped inmates

Officials in Weatherford say all eight inmates are currently in custody after an escape at a Weatherford hospital.

Two of the inmates who had eluded authorities for hours following their escape were captured just after 6 p.m. Tuesday when a homeowner who was selling his home discovered the two in his backyard. The inmates were captured without incident.

Related: Man finds Weatherford escapees hiding in his backyard.

Weatherford Police Chief Byron Cox tells FOX 25 the half dozen inmates were recaptured less than an hour after they escaped by stealing a prison transport van. A total of 11 inmates were in the vehicle when one complained of chest pains.

The vehicle stopped at a Weatherford hospital where the sick inmate was seen by a doctor. According to police in Weatherford, two other inmates went to the restroom with guards. The guards left the remaining eight inmates in the van. The vehicle was running, with the keys in the ignition, when one of the eight got behind the wheel and drove off.

Related: Photographs from the scene of the manhunt.

Just after 2:00 PM, police recaptured six of them and recovered the van. Two others are still on the run and may still be in the area. Chief Cox does not believe the two have any weapons, but Weatherford schools have been put on lock down.

The inmates were being transported by Prisoner Transportation Services out of Nashville. They told FOX 25's Jordann Lucero they have no comment on the escape.

The Southwest Oklahoma State University campus was locked down for about two hours as police searched for the two inmates. That was lifted just before 4:00 PM but SWOSU tweeted that six police officers are stationed around the campus.

If you know anything else that can help, call 911.

A FOX 25 News team is on the scene. We'll bring you the latest information as it comes in to our newsroom.