Family pets wake owners when home catches fire early Tuesday morning

OKC fire crews battle fire near SE 149th & Westminster Rd.

An family's pets are being credited for saving their owners' lives when fire races through their southeast Oklahoma City home early Tuesday morning.

The fire broke out around 3:30 a.m. near SE 149th & Westminster Rd.

The homeowner says he woke up to his dogs barking and smelled smoke. He managed to get his wife and pets out safely.

Firefighters were forced to shuttle in water to put out the flames because the closest hydrants were frozen.

The fire is believed to have started in the chimney.

The home is a total loss.

No injuries were reported.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off